Friday, December 11, 2009

Feel Misunderstood? Like an Alien in this World?


The desire to be known and understood intimately can often leave us feeling like Aliens and Strangers in this world... Truly, God is the only one who connects to our hearts and souls deeply.

1 Peter 2:11
Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul.

There are many levels on which I relate to an alien…


-As a Christian, my entire worldview and foundational principles for life are contrary to the cultural norms… the result is a partial disconnectedness from my culture and the majority of those around me… viewing the world with a different set of lenses…

-In reality, I truly am a foreigner on this earth…My true home is in Heaven…Therefore, as an ambassador of Christ in a foreign land (II Cor. 5:20), I am to embrace my alien papers…To become too comfortable and too content in this foreign land is a detriment to my ministry and the hope which is set before me…There are days when this tension of being in this world, but not of it is more difficult than others… if it isn't… then there just might be something amiss… on this side of heaven, there will always be that "soul-ache" that can only be fulfilled when we are finally home with our Heavenly Father…

-Then, there's of course the issue of my quirky personality! =) Being a visionary and artistic-type, I am often misunderstood… or not understood at all…This can be lonely at times… I tend to seek out others who are like me to find some camaraderie… but, for me, it has been difficult to find true connectedness and authentic relationships... It seems that our culture promotes relationships around an event, conference, etc. The day-to-day sense of fellowship and community has been a rare jewel to find in our very individualistic society...I have found myself sitting at a stoplight longing to be somewhere else… in a foreign land… adopted by a foreign village of people… to be truly connected to someone…

We all have a need for connectedness… A desire to be deeply understood by another…

This does not always equate to complete agreement or harmony...But, to be known and understood on the deepest of levels… and then to be loved to the core despite weaknesses or differences is a vital desire of the human heart…

I know that there will always be that "soul-ache" that can only be satisfied by God… As long as we are aliens and strangers on this earth, that "soul-ache" will never completely be fulfilled.

Yet, I truly long for someone to understand me and know me to the core of who I am… How incredibly amazing it is that we have a God who knows us intimately and formed us with His Divine hand…

I find great comfort and peace in this…

Psalm 139:1-18

1 O LORD, you have searched me and you know me.

2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.

3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.

4 Before a word is on my tongue
you know it completely, O LORD.

5 You hem me in—behind and before;
you have laid your hand upon me.

6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain.

7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?

8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, [a] you are there.

9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,

10 even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.

11 If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,"

12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.

13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.

15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

17 How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!

18 Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand.
When I awake,
I am still with you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A great post Tiffany... I fully relate to your feelings about cultural disconnect and feeling apart from others.